Friday morning I woke up extremely frustrated. It was a big camper night in Nairobi and what would have been my first opportunity to see a BlueSky event and start making real connections with would be campers and their families. I was also emailing with staff in Kenya and they really wanted to start the process of interviews for local Kenya staff so we could get them locked up for the summer. It was a sentiment I totally agreed with but those of you who know me know that the hiring process is one of my favorite parts of camp and it was extremely frustrating to know I wasn’t going to be a part of it. I actually wrote an entire blog post about how I was feeling. Lets take a glance at it.
“I’m frustrated because there are decisions to be made and honestly things I have to learn both about the camp and ministries I am in charge of but also things I need to learn about the culture of the people I will be ministering too. And I promise I’m not having a pity party I’m just ready to get busy. February is when I’ve always started working on camp. And here I am after Valentine’s Day and I can’t even see my camp, I can’t even walk around it and and dream and plan because it’s 8,000 miles away.”
I wrote about 500 words that all pretty much read like that. When I read back through it I decided not to publish it. Not because I was trying to censor myself or even because I didn’t want people to know how I felt. I just knew that my attitude would probably change pretty quickly. It’s certainly not because I don’t want to be in Kenya, it’s pretty much all I think about, but because I truly believe God is working in all of this, including this little unexpected delay. Since the fire we have continued to have opportunity after opportunity to share our story. We have spoken to a group at Germantown Baptist and Desoto Hills Baptist. We have continued to connect with new donors and seen our support account hit about 95% of ideal. We have been blessed with story after story of people praying for us that we have never met but heard our story. I told a group today that this is not how I would have chosen for God to do it but because of the fire we have been blessed beyond measure.
However the best thing is we have gotten to spend more time with friends and family. I was able to have dinner with Russ Polsgrove a pastor in Tupelo and all around great guy and was honored to be joined by his daughter Lucy who as I have said before is my favorite seven year old I am not related to. We have also been able to spend lots of time with our niece and nephew.
So I am of course still a little frustrated and so ready to get to Kenya, but I also don’t want to get ahead of God. I want to stay on His perfect path every minute until we land in Kenya and then for the rest of our lives. So I am soaking up every minute we have here because clearly God wants us here a little longer. We will hopefully have a new date set in the next few days and then the countdown can begin again.